Posting to a Discussion Forum
1. Select the discussion forum on your class page. It is designated by two speech bubbles (see the screenshot below) There are multiple styles of forums. The most traditional forum will ask you to “Add a new discussion topic” in response to a question posed by your instructor.
2. To start your response, select the “Add a new discussion topic” button.
3. You will be brought to a submission page. You must provide a subject and message to your post. The subject can be the name of the discussion forum, your name, or even something to suggest what you have written in your post. Check your forum instructions for post requirements set by your instructor.
4. After composing your subject and message, click Advanced for additional options before submitting.
Once the Advanced page loads, you have the ability to subscribe to notifications for the forum. If you do not want updates for the discussion, you will need to uncheck this box. Otherwise, keep the box checked to receive notifications of new posts. Click here to learn more about managing notifications in Moodle.
Also, you have the ability to attach a file to your forum post. This could include a document, image, or even a short video. **Please note – the maximum file size for any uploads in Moodle is 64MB. If your file is larger, you will need to upload to a sharing system (such as YouTube) and provide a URL to your video in your original post.**
5. Once you have verified your submission is correct, select Post to Forum.
6. After posting, you will have 30 minutes to make any corrections to your post. This includes modifying the message, correcting typos, or even adding/deleting attachments. Once the 30 minutes has passed, you will no longer be able to update your post.
7. To edit before the 30 minutes are up, select the name of your post. On the right hand side, you will see the option to edit, delete, or reply. Selecting edit will bring you back to the previous screens mentioned above so you can make adjustments. Once completed, select Save Changes.
Replying to a Discussion Forum
- To reply to a post on a forum, select the discussion topic of a classmate.
- After reading your classmates’ post, select Reply on the far right hand side.
- This will display a reply box – Add your response in the message area and click Advanced for more options. After clicking Advanced, you have the option to subscribe to posts made to this particular forum as well as the option to add attachments. When you are ready to submit, select Post to Forum. You have 30 minutes to make adjustments to this post before it locks out editing.