Whole Forum Grading is a feature in Moodle that allows instructors to assess student forum postings from a single grading interface. This interface collects all of the student’s postings on one page. Below are instructions on how to set it up.
Note 1: As of now, there's a Moodle bug that does not allow users to separate groups for grading while in Whole Forum Grading mode. We would not recommend using Whole Forum Grading if your course depends on separate groups for grading.
Note 2: Even though it is possible to use both Whole Forum Grading and Ratings at the same time, it is not recommended. We highly recommend that you choose one of the grading types because having both enabled will create a separate grade item in the gradebook for the same forum.
1. Navigate to your Moodle course and either create a new forum or edit an existing forum.
2. In the settings, scroll down to the Whole Forum Grading section and select a grade type (points or scale) from the drop down menu. Adjust the grade settings to your preference. If you want to use a rubric for the forum, select Rubric from the Grading Method drop down.
3. Once you have the Whole Forum Grading set up, to grade each student in the whole forum grading interface, open the forum and click Grade Users.
4. On the next page, you will see one student’s collection of forum posts on the left. One the right, you will see the student’s name and a place to enter their grade. If a rubric is available, this will show on the right to help with grading.
5. Enter your grade for the student and click the Next arrow to navigate to another student’s submission.
6. When finished, click the Save button at the top. To return to the forum's main page, click Close.
Click here to watch a brief video about Whole Forum Grading in Moodle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmT7-j9FjnE